Nature, Art and Culture
The surroundings of Gatteo Mare and the Romagna hinterland
Romagna is not just the sea: our land offers its beloved visitors numerous, unmissable alternatives to the classic day spent under an umbrella: follow us to discover our most precious heritage!
Always a land of good living, home of authentic cuisine and myths and legends that refer to a distant past that still lives, Romagna contains a rich constellation of characteristic villages, scattered among the beautiful valleys of the Conca and Marecchia rivers and the Ravenna beaches, up to the National Park of the Casentinesi Forests, Monte Falterona and Campigna, in an extraordinary mix of medieval villages and enchanting naturalistic areas.
Among its municipalities there are four most beautiful villages in Italy and four orange flags of the Touring Club, as well as of course numerous historical and artistic testimonies. Let's find out together!
Here are some suggestions for a trip outside the city in our fascinating hinterland:
PROVINCE OF FORLI'-CESENA
- San Mauro Pascoli: Villa Torlonia, Giovanni Pascoli House Museum
- Cesena: Rocca Malatestiana, Malatesta library
- Bertinoro, homeland of Albana DOCG, the white wine par excellence of Romagna
- Longiano, Orange Flag of the Italian Touring Club
- Sogliano, home of the famous "pit cheese"
- Castrocaro, home to the prestigious thermal baths and one of the oldest castles in Italy, Orange Flag of the Italian Touring Club
- Bagno di Romagna and the "path of the gnomes", orange flag of the Italian Touring Club
PROVINCE OF RIMINI
- S. Arcangelo di Romagna: Malatesta fortress, tufaceous caves
- Rimini: a treasure trove of incomparable historical testimonies, from Ancient Rome to the visionary director Federico Fellini
- Montebello and the legend of the Azzurrina castle
- Perticara and the sulfur mine
- Talamello, home of the Fossa cheese
- San Leo with its imposing fortress, Orange Flag of the Italian Touring Club
- Verucchio, among the most beautiful villages in Italy
- Montegridolfo, one of the most beautiful villages in Italy
SAN MARINO: the oldest existing republic in the world, with narrow streets full of artisan shops and the spectacular panoramic path that connects the three medieval towers.
PROVINCE OF RAVENNA:
- Cesenatico and the characteristic port designed by Leonardo da Vinci
- Cervia with its famous salt flats, from which white gold is extracted, as well as a suggestive habitat of flamingos
- Milano Marittima and the house of the Butterflies
- Ravenna, with its Byzantine mosaics, Dante Alighieri's tomb and 8 Unesco heritage monuments
- Comacchio, a lagoon town in the heart of the Po Delta park with a characteristic historic center full of alleys, canals and monumental bridges
- Brisighella, Orange Flag of the Italian Touring Club
- Faenza, known throughout the world for the production of refined ceramics